Will Hill Banner

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Superman is dead.

Last week, Nanonoko, the player whose results I most wanted to emulate, played a near 30 hour session and lost $210K dollars according to PokerTracker.  That's TWO HUNDRED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!  Most of it was a 46+ buy-in downswing at 25/50.  Sort of makes my 140K hand break-even seem pretty tame.  And I got (reduced) rakeback!

Anyway, it just goes to show you that anyone is capable of tilting, chasing losses and going into a massive downswing - even the most seasoned of players.  I'm not a big fan of stop-losses, but at some point, you need to be able to say, "I'm not playing my A game", or "the table conditions aren't good", or "time to go to bed."  It's really mind-boggling that someone could play for almost 30 hours straight.  I guess that's why my longest session has never been more than 16-18 hours - because you can't ever say you don't need to get sleep.  You know, so you can feel rested and alert when you are playing the cerebral and emotional game of poker.

Don't worry... if I recall correctly, Superman comes back to life (and dies) several more times.  ;-)  But there goes that pretty straight line going up.

WHAT'S FOR DINNER

A new supermarket opened up in the nearby town, and they have a more reasonable fish section.  Still no mackerel, belt fish or croaker, but they had over a half dozen types of whole fish.  Beggars can't be choosers.  So we ended up going for this red snapper, since I hadn't had it in over a year.  I just grilled it in a basket on the outdoor grill.  Mrs. Fly stuffed it with garlic, ginger and scallions and made a kick-ass sauce to go with it.  It was soooo unbelievably good - especially the meat around the head and the belly.  My mouth is watering as I'm writing this - it was that good.  Mrs. Fly wanted some grilled eggplant to go with it.  It was good too - for eggplant.  Meh.

2 comments:

  1. oh hi , totally agree with you actually im amazed that you can play 16 hours straight my maximum was 8 hours and usually when i play over 6 hours i cant stand it anymore its either tiredness or i feel bored to death any good tips ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I think attention span is something that is hard to teach. I can't think of anything other than taking a break and then firing up again.

    ReplyDelete