Will Hill Banner

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Being an Asian-American from New York, I guess I should say a few words about Jeremy Lin.  I wasn't really intending to, but Mrs. Fly has been bringing him up during every one of our morning conversations for the past week.  It's not unusual for Mrs. Fly to be yapping away the first thing in the morning (it's quite cute tbh), but it's very rare she would ever want to talk about SPORTS.  She is literally one of those people who would say "Did Jeremy Lin score a touchdown last night?"


After his 38 point game vs Kobe and the Lakers, Jason Whitlock (a sports reporter) tweeted "some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple of inches of pain tonight."  And after their first loss, the "chink in the armor" comments flew around.  I'm a little disappointed that in today's age, we still have some racial insensitivity floating around in the mass media.  I guess it's kind of like Fuzzy Zoeller's "fried chicken" comments towards Tiger Woods a few years back.  These types of comments could actually be pretty funny if you were sitting around with your buddies and you actually have good friends who are Asian (or black).  But not when you are a professional sports journalist broadcasting nationwide.
   [x] KNUCKLEHEAD
   [x] probably a funny guy to hang out with
Sticks and stones will break my bones...

What I find disturbing tho is that some coaches in the business let pre- conceived notions of him cloud their judgement of his abilities - the fact that he is Asian and went To Haaavaaad.  This type of thing "could" happen in say... the corporate world, where "managerial skill" (sometimes known as "ass kissing") is kind of vague and very subjective.  But he plays a friggin' sport!  To take the example a little further, it's like if I was picking a team for a 4x100m relay.  I can see how fast everyone runs and passes the baton in practice.  Evaluating physical performance "should be" a lot less subjective.  I can see how you could go wrong in evaluating talent before a draft.  But when the guy is actually on your friggin' team, you can put him through any kind of "game" situation you want.  And there are only 12 guys on a team: 5 per side times two teams minus a few injuries means "everyone" gets to practice, no?  It blows my mind that a few teams had him in practices and passed him over - including the Knicks for part of the season.  Granted, maybe he sucked in practice.  Or maybe he's on a 9 game heater of a lifetime.

But being the spiteful cranky old man that I am, I hope some of the coaches of his old teams get canned.  It's kind of like how all the editors who rejected J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter manuscript (there were a lot of them) got canned (or so I hear).  If you can't spot talent, perhaps you shouldn't be in a position to evaluate talent?  All I know is, this guy has made the NBA, NY Knicks and (maybe) himself a ton of money in a short amount of time.  Moral of the story: being a short-sighted bigot could end up costing you in the long run.

On a side note... My worst fear as a former New Yorker is that Carmelo Anthony is going to turn out to be the next Allen Iverson - puts up great individual numbers but takes away from the team.  The last time I checked, basketball was a team game.

No comments:

Post a Comment