Will Hill Banner

Friday, December 21, 2012


Someone IMed me asked me if I had retired from blogging.  I was going to come back starting next week as a matter of fact!  The kids are on their winter break and I probably could use an hour break here and there.

So here are some random bullets from the past month:

* Mom's doing much better.  Surgery went well and she is starting treatment.  A buddy of mine told me that BOTH of his parents had cancer and they are both alive and doing well, so I guess it's not the end like it used to be.  Sometimes you can even beat it, and still find the strength to jack yourself up on PEDs, win seven straight Tour de Frances, and raise half a billion dollars.  Gonna get mom a bicycle tomorrow.

* I said I didn't want to talk about mom, so I'm thankful no one called me.  But it was nice knowing I had a network of family and friends who were supportive.  Thanks - I love you guys.  You all know who you are!  (But we still don't want you to call us - especially mom).

* Poker's been tough.  Still running around ev4bb/100, but I've just been running bad, not only in EV but on the wrong side of coolers.  And of course it doesn't help that I'm an unbelievable station when I'm not running well.  Maybe one day I'll learn not to tilt bluff catch fish on 3 flush board runouts.  Maybe.

* We've been super-busy the last month so the Mrs & I finally had one of our usual lunch dates and saw the Hobbit.  I thought it was pretty good.  Actually, it was much better than I expected, since I never read the book, and all I remember was that lame Hobbit cartoon that they made like 40 years ago.  Action > No Action.  Maybe I should paste that on our headboard...

* Saw a bunch of poker videos.  It's really sad how some of the former high stakes crushers can't beat midstakes nowadays.  Obviously I am not going to mention names becuase I like most of them, but watching their videos it really seems like they are getting by on random button clicking, wild-assed guessing and being an aggro monkey.  And I don't see how you can not use a HUD... especially for the preflop game.  The game is a lot more technical now, and over the long run, it's going to make a difference whether you split those 8s vs a dealer 5.  You can stay because you "feel" it's the right thing to do given "table dynamics" but over the long run, it's not the right move vs autopiloting bots (ie multitablers).  At least they aren't tilt-calling down fish on 3 flush board runouts like some whale I know. 

* I actually had a bunch of random poker thoughts that I had been wanting to write about, so you'll have that to look forward to.  And I figured out how to write my book in a choherent manner, so I'm pretty excited about that too.  Whether it gets done is a completely different matter.

It's nice to be back.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Doublefly.

    I was delighted to hear your Mom's surgery went well and I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for her.

    Keep your chin up and spend as much time as you can seeing and supporting your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What were your feelings watching FTP tables being played on those DC videos? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I played a little. The games were definitely tougher than I remember, but it was really nice playing and enjoying the software. The software on most other sites is such crap.

    ReplyDelete